Monday 3 February 2014

Sorry, I don't have the time.

Dydd Llun, Trydydd Chwefror 2014   Monday 3rd. Fedruary 2014 

Three weeks. Three weeks since I took the time to do this.
Why? Stock answer: I haven’t had the time.
We all have the same time. We choose what we do with it. For the last twenty-four years I have told people that I’m not usually available on a Tuesday and Friday evening (and quite a lot of weekends) because I have chosen to train on those evenings. I have seen many students begin but discontinue their study very soon after. There is a theory, which seems to have been supported by my observation, that if you do something ten times, same day, same time, each week, it becomes a habit.
So, when a new student joins the class, I can’t help counting the first classes they attend. For me, at least, Tuesdays and Fridays have been a good habit.
When I first studied Aikido, it was usual for the teacher or one of the students to read one of the Ki Sayings of Koichi Tohei Sensei. That practice has generally ceased now. Perhaps because they seem a bit mystical, which I don’t believe Tohei Sensei was. There is bound to be some difficulty understanding something which has been translated from Japanese and written by someone from a different generation and culture and, as far as I’m concerned, having an immensely greater understanding of life. However, you may find these words worth reflecting on.
‘THE UNITY OF CALM AND ACTION
Just as tops spinning violently and rapidly become steady, the most rapid movement results in calm.
Like the eye of the typhoon, which is always peaceful, inner calm results in great strength of action.   Calm and action are exactly one. Only when we keep one point and unify our mind and body, can we find spare time even when busy.
Keep a calm mind and you will be able to perform to the best of your ability even in an emergency or when facing important tasks.’
Cofion cynnes, fi fach.

No comments:

Post a Comment